Friday 14 June 2013

JUMP OR I BREAK YOUR LEGS!

Life was not easy for those of us who fell in love with the outdoors as kids. Some how, my parents insisted on us staying within the confines of our barbed wire fenced compound which we then considered prison. but as usual, the defiant boy in me would be tempted to break this commandment "Thou shall not step outside the compound" and the bad devil even tempted me further to break yet another one: "thou shall not climb a tree!"
The temptation of climbing a tree is one every African boy can tell you, is impossible to resist. I like comparing our childhood back in the 1990's with this new millennium. In ways more than one, parents have evolved into softer and more understanding species. I mean, take my little brother for instance, the boy is only 11years old and i can swear by the belt marks on my back that the little rascal is more cheeky than i was at 11! But truth be told he receives far less beatings than i did!
Inasmuch as so much has changed since the dusk of the last millennium, the urge of climbing trees is still constant among small boys. What has changed is our parent's reaction to this grave crime! not so long ago, while the whole family, save for my small brother, were sharing a lighthearted afternoon in the house watching a local comedy, we heard a high pitched scream from behind the house. to me it sounded like pig that had just woken up in the middle of a surgery. Naturally we all panic and rush out in confusion (without even formulating a plan!) and guess who is hanging on the topmost branch of the old tree (whose name we have no idea of) behind the house? my youngest brother of course.
Now there are several things i would have done differently if i was on top of that old tree. One of them, I would never have called for help! I would have rather stuck up there than be helped down only to face the wrath of my mother!
The next words my mother said made me to look at her for a whole ten seconds just to confirm it was her!
"Don't worry dear we shall get you down from there!" My mum went, attracting a pitiful whimper from the cheeky victim up the tree. I quickly flashback to how this same mum would have reacted was she to find 11year old me up the forbidden tree....
"Jump down this instant or i will come up there and break your legs!" and at this i would have hugged the tree even tighter!
I looked at her face again trying to see the logic behind her kindness. Was it to trick the little boy into a false sense of security before letting all hell lose on him? No. Her next words disapproved my hypothesis:
"Don't worry dear, we shall call an ambulance to bring you down, okay?" and the little rascals nods and carelessly blowing and wiping his nose whimpers again!
in my situation, an ambulance would be a far fetched fantasy! i would have gotten a: "get down from there or i will call your father!"
Now who is stupid enough to stay up there till dad is summoned? certainly not an African boy!
I LOVE YOU MUM!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting piece. Great reminder of the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. muster piece keep up bro the sky is the limit.passy mahelo

    ReplyDelete
  3. what does nalyanya?

    ReplyDelete